Sunday, July 11, 2010

POTR #60 Fifty Years And Counting

PEACE ON THE ROAD
Fifty Years And Counting
July 10, 2010

For months now the only thing that I had planned was to go to my fiftieth high school graduation reunion. The event took place on June 27. I had a very good time. Part of that was because I was able to attend with both by brother and my sister. That is the first time that all three of us have ever gotten together for any school function since the last day of school picnic in 1949. I was in school with my brother for one year. My sister and I spent eight years going to the same school and when she graduated from high school I graduated from grade school. It was only four years after I graduated that the last class graduated from the Princeton school before it closed. So every year there have been and will be fewer people that will attend for a variety of reasons till a number of years from now the reunions will cease to exist. I personally cannot think of a reason to attend another unless my siblings want me to go sometime. I think that this year there were only about seventy to eighty people that showed up and that included spouses and some children. If I gone to a reunion once in a while over the years it would have been much more meaningful this time I suppose. But I only have gone once three years ago so I missed seeing a lot of school friends over the years. After fifty years I have changed a lot and so have they so there were a lot of strangers that at one time were school mates. In school we had a sock hop every once in a while and I danced with every girl that was in high school with me. One lady I talked to was in the class behind me so I was in high school with her for three years. I could not remember her ever being in school with me at all. That is bad when you figure that my graduating class only had seven members and the junior class was twenty some. I guess she was just a quiet girl. There was only one person from my graduating class other than myself, so maybe a third of the attendees of the “graduation ceremony of 1960” showing up is not too bad. The seventh official graduate was unable to participate in the graduation so it was not until three years ago that I knew she was officially one of the graduates. That was a pleasant surprise to me.

We are camping in a new campground in Topeka, KS. It may be as little as three or four years old. I have heard that it is owned by a fellow that owns a local concrete company. As you might guess there is a lot of pristine concrete throughout the park. Very wide streets, large turns, with a lot of space between each space that is manicured grass. As far as I know there is not any group gathering area, nor are there any activities for the park people. For a place to relax and spread out and do our own thing I don't think I have seen a better place. The worst thing here has been the weather and that really has not been too bad. When we first got here there were several days when the wind and rain combined to send us buckets of water. One time I looked at a neighbor and there was water going from the rooftop of his camper almost horizontal between the downpour and the wind. Then we got a period of warm but still nice weather that lasted until about Independence weekend and then just enough drizzle to spoil a lot of celebration plans of a lot of people.

I am positive that when I was still in school I toured the Kansas State Capitol building, but I honestly cannot remember do it. As an adult I very much enjoyed the tour. I learned more touring by myself than I ever would have as a youth. There are several “facts” about the building that I cannot verify for positive. It is claimed that the dome of the Kansas Capitol has a greater span than the US Capitol. I think there is some disparity in the locations of the measurements, therefore I cannot confirm this but it does sound good. Wikipedia states that the US Capitol dome is 75' across. The dome of the Kansas Capitol is actually a dome within a dome. If the dome that is visible from the outside was removed for some reason the inner dome would be able to protect the building from the elements. Tours are still allowed into the dome of the building, making it the only capitol building in the USA that still allows unsupervised visitation. From the entrance on the fifth floor there are 296 step that lead up to the top of the dome. There are several straight stairways at different angles and then a final tight spiral with three full turns to reach the top where there is a great view of the city. With some of the graffiti that has been left by vandals I would not be surprised if the dome tour privilege is also lost to the general public. There are many murals in the capitol that depict events in the history of Kansas. One of the murals depicts the abolitionist John Brown as a central figure. He was convicted of treason and hanged in Harpers Ferry, Virginia, (now West Virginia) in 1859. Thus as far as is known this is the only instance where a person convicted of treason is displayed in a capitol building. During construction of the central portion in 1885 a spring was discovered while the workmen were digging the 25' deep foundation. That spring is still running under the capitol building.


THE STAIRWAYS LEADING TO THE DOME INSIDE THE KANSAS STATE CAPITOL

I have thought and stated over the years that it was too bad that when I took the college class in Kansas State University “Appreciation of Architecture” that it was not during a time of my life that I would actually appreciate architecture. Unfortunately at the age of 18 I could not have cared less about the way buildings were built. I studied enough to barely get through the class. Oh it sad that too soon we get old and too late we acquire wisdom, at least I flatter myself that I have gained some wisdom. There are many times now that I drive through a town and marvel at the old architectural styles or the modern sweeping flow of glass that is characteristic of many buildings. In spite of the fact that I tried to not learn anything there was an appreciation that did rub off on me. At least I know an Ionic or Doric column, or when I see a flying buttress I recognize it as such. I had seen a small picture of the Central Library in Kansas City, Kansas and wanted to see it because it looked intriguing. We took a drive there and located it. The central library has had several locations and is now located in a former bank building. The library is interesting in itself with it massive marble columns, bronze doors, and ornate moldings, impressive chandeliers, beautiful marble wall and great woodwork it is the parking garage next door that I wanted to see. They call it the community bookshelf. It consists of 22 books covering a wide range of interest. Each book is about 25 foot tall and 9 foot wide. At each end of the books is a glass covered stairway that looks like a set of book ends. The library was dedicated in 2004 so they are not very old. The steps that lead up to the middle entrance are built to look like several books that are laid flat and stacked.


ELEVEN BOOKS AND ONE BOOKEND OF THE KANSAS CITY CENTRAL LIBRARY

A few years ago when we were in Topeka we tried to attend a performance at the Sunflower Music Festival at Washburn University. Due to circumstances we had to leave very early in the concert. This year we were able to attend a concert and enjoyed it so much that we went back for an even more enjoyable final concert. And it was all free so how could that be beat. The concert hall is located next to the Washburn Art Museum. In front of that museum are several sculptures that were created by weaving green willow saplings into various shapes. They form tunnels, arches, doorways, windows, rooms and nondescript shapes that fascinated me. Since I could not spend time looking at them while we were going to the concert it was necessary to go back later. They were created by Patrick Dougherty. He has created sculptures around the world. He calls them stickwork and they are designed to only last two or three years and then be removed. More about him and his work can be found at www.stickworks.net While we saw them during the summer I am quite sure that there would be a totally different look when they are blanked with snow in the winter. While the stickworks were the hook that brought us back there was other art inside that was also good. There are many people in this world that have a lot of talent. And there are also some that I would question if they created true art. As an example in one room there was perhaps two hundred pounds of blue rubber bands that were piled in the middle of the floor. It was called art and while I would say that it was interesting, impressive and even pretty was it “ART”? If I had done something like that as a child my mother would likely had told me, “Get that mess cleaned up and don't make another one like it!” There were other displays that were very artistic and so simple that anyone could have made them, and yet without an artsy inclination I am sure they would not have looked as good. Salvador Dali is an acclaimed artist. One that I have heard given praise many times. To be sure there are many that do not like his work. I guess that I would say “I am one of those.” I have seen the pencil sketches of other artist which were made as preliminary ideas before doing the actual painting. This is my impression of the works of Dali that were displayed. There was a whole room devoted to Dali.


STICKWORK BY PATRICK DOUGHERTY AT THE MULVANE MUSEUM OF ART

Years ago Cobela's built one of their big sporting goods stores within a reasonable driving distance of Denver where I was living. Several of my friends went there and thought it was the greatest stores they had ever seen. I finally was able to visit one of the stores and I have to agree with their evaluation. Inside the store they had built a couple mountains and had stuffed animals all over it. There was a room depicting the African veldt with numerous stuffed animals. Other areas depicted the mountains where there were many trophy deer and elk. Also scattered throughout the store were many stuffed animals attached to the wall. I have hunted as a youth and understand hunters. But anymore I would much rather hunt with a camera and capture the prize year after year. What I could do is spend many thousands of dollars on sporting and camping goods in Cobela's. By one definition I camp every day, but I would enjoy cooking over a fire and sleeping where I could see the stars at night and feel the breezes on my face and maybe hear a nearby stream or river. Maybe I would not enjoy it as much as I did at one time but it would be nice to find out exactly how I would feel at the age I am now.

Till later this is Doug of
Peace On The Road

No comments:

Post a Comment